- Title: Rescued migrants treated in hospital after boat sinks in Turkey's Van Lake
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: VAN LAKE, TURKEY (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CAPSIZED BOAT IN VAN LAKE OFFICIALS AT SHORE AMBULANCE AT SCENE VIEW OF VAN LAKE BITLIS, TURKEY (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) RESCUED MIGRANTS LYING IN HOSPITAL BEDS VARIOUS OF RESCUED CHILDREN WRAPPED IN BLANKETS
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 09:31
- Keywords: Turkey boat capsized hospital migrants
- Location: VAN LAKE, BITLIS, TURKEY
- City: VAN LAKE, BITLIS, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM2JBB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Rescued migrants were rushed to hospital for treatment after a boat carrying migrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan sank in eastern Turkey's Van Lake on Thursday (December 26).
Seven people died and 64 were rescued, the governor's office in Bitlis province said.
The boat sank after capsizing as it approached Adilcevaz district in Bitlis, which is on the northern shores of Lake Van, the office said in a statement. The accident happened at around 3 a.m. (0000 GMT).
The lake is near the border with Iran, from where migrants regularly cross into Turkey, heading west towards Europe. It was not clear why the migrants were on the boat in Lake Van, which is completely within Turkey's borders.
Five people were found dead at the scene and two died at hospital, while the 64 people rescued were taken to nearby hospitals and shelters, the governor's office said.
It said gendarmerie forces, emergency response teams and police divers were conducting search operations.
(Bulent Usta, Yesim Dikmen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None