- Title: India witnesses annular solar eclipse
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: DEVOTEE OFFERING WATER DEVOTEES STANDING IN RIVER AND AT BANKS
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 09:17
- Keywords: Chennai India Mumbai holy dip moon solar eclipse sun
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, AHMEDABAD, GUJARAT, VARANASI, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Science
- Reuters ID: LVA002BBM2BEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of space enthusiasts and students gathered in different parts of India to watch the annular solar eclipse, also known as a "ring of fire" on Thursday (December 26).
The last solar eclipse of the decade, an annular one was seen in totality or partially by people from the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and the United Arab Emirates.
The annular eclipse started from Dammam in Saudi Arabia and travelled across the Indian Ocean towards southern India and over the northern part of Sri Lanka and ended above the Pacific Ocean.
In India's western Mumbai, Ahmedabad cities, and southern Chennai city people were seen using solar viewers, filters, and telescopes, as they viewed the solar phenomenon that started around 8 am (0230 GMT), and continued till around 11.30 am (0600 GMT).
Meanwhile, devotees were seen taking holy dips, praying to the Sun God in the holy river Ganges in northern Varanasi city. According to Hindu religious beliefs, taking a bath in a water body on the day of solar eclipse adds to one's good Karma and washes off the ill effects of the eclipse.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.