- Title: Security cameras forcibly taken down on the day of India protest violence
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) SECURITY "CAM 2" CAPTURING POLICE WEARING FLAK JACKETS AND HELMETS / POLICE OFFICER WALKING CLOSER TO CAMERA WITH A STICK, RECORDING GOES BLACK SECURITY "CAM 3" CAPTURING CROWD MOVING ON THE ROAD / POLICE OFFICER HITTING SURVEILLANCE CAMERA WITH A STICK, CAMERA DANGLES CAM 3 BEFORE BEING TAKEN DOWN, POLICE OFFICERS GATHERING, HITTING HERD OF COWS WITH STICK
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 12:09
- Keywords: CCTV Citizenship Amendment Law India Meerut Muslims Protests Uttar Pradesh police firing surveillance footage vandalism
- Location: MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: MEERUT, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM298L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Surveillance footage captured Indian police smashing a security camera in Meerut's Muslim-dominated Lisari Gate area on Friday (December 20), the day five Muslim men are believed to have been shot dead by police for opposing a controversial citizenship law.
A video obtained by Reuters shows police officers gathering at shops where two cameras were in operation, before the cameras are hit.
Residents of Lisari Gate said dozens of police and paramilitary officials that had been deployed there that morning and they baton-charged people, fired several rounds of tear-gas and fired bullets at as people left mosques following Friday prayers.
(Production: Sunil Kataria, Nur-Azna Sanusi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None