- Title: Residents in awe of â€œring of fireâ€ eclipse in UAE
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: ABU DHABI, UAE (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) TIMELAPSE OF ANNULAR ECLIPSE AS SEEN FROM ABU DHABI VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED IN THE DESERT TO WATCH THE ECLIPSE TIMELAPSE OF THE MOON IN FRONT OF THE SUN, CREATING A "RING OF FIRE", THEN MOVING OUT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WEARING SPECIAL GLASSES TO WATCH THE ECLIPSE (SOUNDBITE) (English) GERMAN RESIDENT OF DUBAI, DIRK GORDONSTEIN, SAYING: "This time I've seen the ring as such, which was an amazing experience. Normally, when the sun is fully covered, it gets dark like early in the morning, and this, you just slightly saw when the moon was fully covering and the ring was amazing, like, "ring of fire" like the others (inaudible) say, and it's a very nice experience." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LINED UP WITH CAMERAS TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE ECLIPSE MAN HOLDING SPECIAL GLASSES IN FRONT OF CAMERA WHILE TAKING PHOTOS (SOUNDBITE) (English) INDIAN RESIDENT OF DUBAI, NILESH BHUSARI, SAYING: "From here, we can see the full ring, it's a full eclipse. If I had stayed in Dubai, I would have witnessed a partial eclipse event." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING ECLIPSE AND TAKING PHOTOS (SOUNDBITE) (English) INDIAN RESIDENT OF DUBAI, VICK, SAYING: "Even though, I knew it was going to be a partial eclipse in Dubai, I wanted to come here only to witness this once of a life time moment, and it looks so amazing while you see it. It's like its completely covered. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING THE ECLIPSE FROM THE DESERT TIMELAPSE OF MOON MOVING WAY FROM THE CENTRE OF THE SUN
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 08:29
- Keywords: Abu Dhabi Solar eclipse UAE
- Location: ABU DHABI, UAE
- City: ABU DHABI, UAE
- Country: UAE
- Topics: Science
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM2IIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:UAE residents flocked out to the remote Zayed city, more than two hours away from Dubai in order to get the best seat to witness the annular solar eclipse on Thursday (December 26).
Zayed city, which is south of the Emirati capital, was the only place where people could watch the eclipse and see the "ring of fire" - where the moon covers only most of the sun, leaving the edges lit up.
The eclipse was visible in downtown Dubai and Abu Dhabi but only partially.
UAE space agency and Dubai Astronomy group also offered two viewing locations in Dubai in al Thuraya Astronomy Center and at the iconic Burj Khalifa.
The phenomenon, which was last seen in the UAE 172 years ago, is expected to return again in 83 years, according to Dubai Astronomy group.
(Production: Abdelhadi Ramahi, Tarek Fahmy)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None