- Title: Brr! Czechs plunge into Prague river for post-Christmas swim
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** SWIMMERS CLIMBING INTO VLTAVA RIVER FOR WINTER SWIMMING COMPETITION SWIMMER CLIMBING INTO WATER AND SWIMMING OFF SWIMMERS SWIMMING PEOPLE WATCHING SWIMMERS FROM EMBANKMENT SWIMMERS REACHING BUOY MARKING COURSE OF SWIMMING RACE PEOPLE WATCHING RACE FROM BRIDGE SWIMMERS SWIMMING SWIMMER, LENKA STERBOVA, LEADING RACE PEOPLE WATCHING FROM EMBANKMENT STERBOVA FINISHING RACE (AUDIO OF WHISTLING AND APPLAUSE) STERBOVA CLIMBING OUT OF RIVER AND SPEAKING TO COMMENTATOR (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) SWIMMING RACE WINNER AND LONG DISTANCE SWIMMER, LENKA STERBOVA, SAYING: "I enjoyed the race very much because I got a lead at the first buoy and I was just enjoying the sun and spectators. It is very nice here." SWIMMERS CLIMBING INTO WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) 71-YEAR-OLD SWIMMER, JIRI HAJEK, SAYING: "It is great, I don't get flu or a cold, I have healthy joints. I am still doing OK." SWIMMERS CLIMBING INTO WATER HAJEK PUSHING OFF INTO RIVER FROM LADDER SWIMMERS SWIMMING SWIMMER DOING BUTTERFLY STROKE PEOPLE WATCHING SWIMMERS FROM EMBANKMENT 89-YEAR-OLD SWIMMER, BOZENA CERNA, WALKING TO GET INTO WATER PEOPLE WATCHING FROM BRIDGE CERNA TREADING WATER PHOTOGRAPHER TAKING PHOTOGRAPH QUEUE OF SWIMMERS WAITING TO CLIMB OUT OF RIVER PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PICTURES / CERNA WAVING (SOUNDBITE) (Czech) 89-YEAR-OLD SWIMMER, BOZENA CERNA, SAYING: "It was good, good!" SWIMMERS CLIMBING OUT OF WATER SWIMMERS LEAVING PONTOON, PEOPLE LOOKING ON
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 14:05
- Keywords: Alfred Nikodem Czech Republic Prague Vltava river tradition winter swimming
- Location: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- City: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Sport,Swimming
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM4F95
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANITY IN SHOT 1
Hundreds of people took part in swimming events in Prague's Vltava river on Thursday (December 26) in an annual post-Christmas event in the Czech capital.
Long-distance swimmer Lenka Sterbova won the 750 metre race with a time of 9 minutes and 12 seconds. Races of 300 and 100 metres were also held.
Although not freezing, the temperature in the water was a chilly 5 degrees Celsius (41 Fahrenheit).
According to the organisers, a record 430 people took part in the event, with swimmers from the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Belgium, Britain, Russia, and Kazakhstan.
The event is held in memory of Alfred Nikodem, a Prague businessman and goldsmith who popularised winter swimming in the city in the 1920s and 30s.
(Production: Jiri Skacel, Lewis Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None