- Title: Snow joke! Muscovites get to grips with snowless December
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (English/Russian): 'DO NOT WALK ON GRASS' IN ALEXANDROVSKY SAD VARIOUS OF GREEN GRASS VARIOUS OF TREE BUDS VARIOUS OF GUARDS STANDING BY TOMB OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER MAN SWEEPING PAVEMENT CHRISTMAS TREE REFLECTED IN PUDDLE ON PAVEMENT PEOPLE WALKING IN FRONT OF CHRISTMAS TREE AND MARKETS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENTS, GENNADIY LOSEV AND LYUDMILA LOSEVA, SAYING: LYUDMILA LOSEVA: "Of course, I'd like some snow, but what can you do about it? Then again it's warm you can walk as much as you like without getting cold." GENNADIY LOSEV: "It's good weather, if the meteorologists talk about records (being broken), about history, 71 years ago it was exactly the same." LYUDMILA LOSEVA: "It's already happened before, it's nothing to worry about." GENNADIY LOSEV: "Especially because we spent a long time living in the Leningrad Region, it's fine." PEOPLE WALKING ALONG PAVEMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, OLESYA, SAYING: "We now have the 'Journey to Christmas' festival. It's like European weather. It's great, I can ride on my scooter in winter in December. (JOURNALIST ASKING OFF CAMERA: Do you like it or not?). I would like a New Year's miracle to happen by New Year, at least some snow. It doesn't have to be freezing, but a bit of snow would definitely not go amiss." PEOPLE WALKING BY HISTORY MUSEUM NEAR RED SQUARE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) MOSCOW RESIDENT, NADEZHDA, SAYING: "Records are being broken, but there's no such thing as bad weather in nature, so we make the best of what we have. The decorations around Moscow get you in the festive mood, everything is very beautiful. So, we're not really suffering from the lack of snow, but I hope that in the New Year it will come." KREMLIN WALLS AND HISTORY MUSEUM FROM ALEXANDROVSKY SAD (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) STUDENTS, MAGIYA IVANITSKAYA AND FEDOR SHARIN, SAYING: MAGIYA IVANITSKAYA: "I want to make a snowman." FEDOR SHARIN: "I wouldn't be against it either." MAGIYA IVANITSKAYA: "And throw snowballs and go skiing." FEDOR SHARIN: "It's always a crucial part of the festive spirit." PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH CHRISTMAS MARKETS COUPLE TAKING SELFIE VARIOUS OF FATHER FROST (THE RUSSIAN VERSION OF FATHER CHRISTMAS) GIVING SWEETS TO CHILDREN VARIOUS OF CHILDREN RIDING ON CAROUSEL IN FRONT OF KREMLIN FESTIVE DECORATIONS IN FRONT OF KREMLIN CARS DRIVING DOWN TVERSKAYA STREET TOWARDS KREMLIN VARIOUS OF THERMOMETER ON BUILDING DISPLAYING 5 DEGREES CELSIUS
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 15:16
- Keywords: Christmas Festive season climate emergency global warming moscow weather warm weather
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBC55QX
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People in Moscow seemed to be making the most of the unusually warm weather in the Russian capital on Tuesday (December 24).
"It's great, I can ride on my scooter in winter in December," Moscow resident Olesya said.
Other residents still hoped that snow would fall by New Year.
At a time when snow often blankets the streets and icicles hang from buildings, temperatures in Moscow reached 7.5 Celsius (45.5 Fahrenheit) on Tuesday, according to the Hydrometcenter of Russia.
The unseasonable warmth has been brought by an atmospheric front from the Atlantic Ocean, and rain, not snow, is forecast for the New Year holiday, Russia's main festive celebration.
(Production: Mikhail Antonov, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None