- Title: Public transport unions protest in Paris against pension reform
- Date: 26th December 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (DECEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) PUBLIC TRANSPORT WORKERS GATHERED IN FRONT OF GARE DE L'EST CHANTING WITH FLARE VARIOUS OF UNION REPRESENTATIVE FOR CGT RATP UNION, CEMIL KAYGISIZ, SPEAKING TO COLLEAGUES (SOUNDBITE) (French) UNION REPRESENTATIVE FOR CGT RATP UNION, CEMIL KAYGISIZ, SAYING: "We are asking for the pension reform to simply be withdrawn. Workers at the RATP (Paris public transport) and workers at the SNCF (French railway system) are mobilised even during the holidays and we will continue until the bill is withdrawn." PROTEST ONGOING VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION UNDERWAY PROTESTERS MARCHING
- Embargoed: 9th January 2020 14:04
- Keywords: Macron Pension reform Ratp Sncf pension system retirement age
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBM3AYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Public transport workers on strike for 22 days gathered and marched in Paris on Thursday (December 26) as they continued to ask the French government to drop a pension reform plan they say will impact future pensioners' livelihood.
Over two weeks of nationwide industrial action against French President Emmanuel Macron's pension reform, which would scrap special pensions for many public sector staff and make people work to 64 to draw a full pension, have crippled France's transport network.
Former investment banker Macron has said he wants to streamline the Byzantine state pension system with its tangle of special privileges, and use incentives to prod people to work until 64, instead of the average retirement age now of 62.
The hardline CGT trade union has vowed to ramp up protest action, particularly in the oil sector and including shutting down oil facilities, to try to force the government to withdraw the planned reforms.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello and Lucien Libert)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None