- Title: Christmas bargains to be found at London meat auction
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (DECEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED AT CHRISTMAS EVE MEAT AUCTION ORGANISED BY THE CHAIRMAN OF THE SMITHFIELD MARKET TENANT'S ASSOCIATION, GREG LAWRENCE / LAWRENCE SAYING (English): "The product we've got is magnificent." LAWRENCE TALKING TO BUYERS, SAYING (English): "So what we're going to do is celebrate by giving you all fantastic deals today." BOXES OF THREE TURKEYS BEING SOLD FOR Â£30 POUNDS ($39) / CHILD IN CHRISTMAS HAT HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "MERRY XMAS!" LAWRENCE HOLDING UP 7 KILOGRAM TURKEY, SOLD FOR Â£10 POUNDS ($13) STAFF MEMBER HOLDING UP SMOKED HAMS FOR SALE STAFF MEMBER HOLDING UP A CUT OF BEEF FOR SALE STAFF MEMBER HOLDING UP A PORK LEG FOR SALE STAFF MEMBER HOLDING UP A CUT OF BEEF FOR SALE STAFF MEMBER HOLDING UP SUCKLING PIG FOR SALE BOXES OF TURKEYS BEING SOLD LAWRENCE HOLDING BUYER'S HAND AND MAKING SURE THEY GET A BOX BUYERS HOLDING CASH IN THE AIR VARIOUS OF TURKEYS BEING PASSED TO BUYERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEAT BUYER, JOHN (LAST NAME NOT GIVEN), SAYING: "The last six years we've been here. We come and hopefully get our turkeys. We've got a couple of turkeys, which is good. And beef - we like our beef. It's just excellent value." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEAT BUYER, NICK (LAST NAME NOT GIVEN), SAYING: "The wife's somewhere over there in the crowd, spending money. I'm just here to do the carrying!" MEAT AUCTION IN PROGRESS BAG BEING PASSED TO MAN CHILD IN CHRISTMAS HAT WAVING CASH STAFF MEMBERS REMOVING MEAT FROM BOX VARIOUS OF MEAT BEING PASSED TO BUYERS BUYERS HOLDING CASH IN THE AIR / STAFF MEMBER IN THE BACKGROUND BUYERS HOLDING CASH IN THE AIR STAFF MEMBER HANDING MEAT TO BUYERS STAFF MEMBER TOSSING COIN TO DETERMINE WHETHER BUYER HAS TO PAY THE SET PRICE OR GET THE MEAT FOR FREE, SAYING (English): "You can't lose!" / STAFF MEMBER CELEBRATING WHEN HE WINS COIN TOSS (SOUNDBITE) (English) BUYER, RICHARD (LAST NAME NOT GIVEN), SAYING: "It's a bit of fun. We come up, buy some meat, go and have a few drinks on the way home and, yeah, enjoy Christmas." MEAT BEING HANDED TO BUYERS LAWRENCE TAKING CASH AND HANDING OUT MEAT BUYERS HOLDING CASH IN THE AIR LAWRENCE DIRECTING STAFF MEMBER BUYERS LIFTING CASH INTO THE AIR / STAFF MEMBERS IN THE BACKGROUND CASH IN THE AIR MEAT BEING HANDED OUT TO BUYERS MEAT AUCTION IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 15:39
- Keywords: Christmas Eve Christmas market London market Smithfield Market Xmas auction beef meat auction meat market pork turkey
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBC5HLL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cash was changing hands apace in central London on Tuesday (December 24) morning as the city's famous Smithfield Market held its annual Christmas Eve meat auction.
More than 1,000 customers were estimated to attend the sale, with organiser Greg Lawrence intending to serve everyone at least one of his heavily discounted meat products.
As well as a traditional turkey for only Â£10 pounds ($13), Lawrence's staff offered buyers various cuts of beef and pork, and even a number of suckling pigs for those more confident in the kitchen.
The staff say that despite the huge discounts, the quality is second to none.
According to Lawrence, the chairman of the market's Tenant's Association, buyers can expect to save 50-60 percent on regular supermarket prices.
Towards the end of the auction, staff members even start tossing coins to see whether customers pay the set price or get their produce for free.
Many of those waving cash in the air have turned the auction into a Christmas tradition, enjoying the atmosphere while also trying to bag themselves a tasty bargain for the feast ahead.
For the market's workers, the day marks a frenetic end to an intensely busy period that can involve working 16 or 17-hour days, before a well earned rest over Christmas and New Year.
(Production: Will Russell, Ben Dangerfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None