- Title: Russian Olympic Committee supports RUSADA's appeal against WADA sanctions
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF RUSSIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE BUILDING
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 11:55
- Keywords: Olympic ban RUSADA WADA sport doping
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002BBC545B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian Olympic Committee Chairman Stanislav Pozdnyakov announced in Moscow on Tuesday (December 24) that the Olympic Committee would support the Russian Anti-Doping Agency's (RUSADA) appeal against the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) decision to bar Russia from major sporting events.
Pozdnyakov said that Russian athletes should be allowed to participate in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics under the Russian flag. He also described WADA's decision as punitive, adding that it would not contribute to the reinstatement of RUSADA in any way.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) earlier in December banned the country's colours and anthem from events, including the Olympics, for four years as punishment for having provided it with doctored laboratory data.
(Production: Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.