- Title: Arsenal's Xhaka wants Hertha Berlin move in January - agent
- Date: 27th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - NOVEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) ARSENAL MIDFIELDER, GRANIT XHAKA, JOGGING ALONGSIDE TEAM MATES AT TEAM TRAINING SESSION TEAM TRAINING BAKU, AZERBAIJAN (FILE - MAY 28, 2019) (REUTERS) ARSENAL MIDFIELDER, GRANIT XHAKA, WARMING UP AT TEAM TRAINING SESSION MORE OF XHAKA WARMING UP
- Embargoed: 10th January 2020 17:08
- Keywords: Arsenal Bundesliga Granit Xhaka Hertha Berlin Juergen Klinsmann Mikel Arteta Premier League
- Location: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BAKU, AZERBAIJAN / BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: LONDON COLNEY, NEAR LONDON AND LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / BAKU, AZERBAIJAN / BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBR4HFJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka wants to leave the Premier League club in the January transfer window and sign with Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin, the player's agent has said.
Xhaka has had a fractured relationship with the fans since he reacted angrily to being booed when he was substituted against Crystal Palace in October.
He was subsequently stripped of captaincy by former manager Unai Emery.
Xhaka was signed from Borussia Monchengladbach in 2016 for around 30 million pounds ($39 million dollars) and has made 150 appearances since, scoring 11 goals and providing 17 assists.
New boss Arteta had publicly backed Xhaka to succeed at the north London club, even mentioning that the Swiss international was on his transfer list when he was assistant manager at Manchester City.
However, the agent said the Spanish coach had privately told Xhaka that he was free to leave the club in the close season, which irked the 27-year-old.
Hertha - coached by former Germany and United States coach Juergen Klinsmann - are 12th in the standings with 19 points -- four points above the relegation zone -- while Arsenal, who host Chelsea on Sunday, are 11th.
($1 = 0.7639 pounds)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None