- Title: Thousands take to streets to protest Citizenship law in India
- Date: 27th December 2019
- Summary: POSTER IN HANDS OF A PROTESTER READING (English): 'I AM UPSET'/PROTESTERS SITTING WITH PLACARDS BURQA-CLAD WOMEN WITH PLACARDS STANDING PROTESTERS STANDING PROTESTERS WITH PLACARDS SITTING BURQA-CLAD WOMEN WITH PLACARDS AND FLOWERS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "We don't know what the issue is. It is their (government) personal interest and they are not bothered about India at all because if they would have loved Mother India then no mother divides her child into pieces and it can be seen as they have done it but even after trying so much god willing they won't be able to divide (the country)." NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS GATHERED NEAR THE JAMA MASJID MOSQUE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS AND POSTERS STANDING PROTESTERS CARRYING BANNER AND INDIAN NATIONAL FLAGS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PROTESTER, IKRAAM, SAYING: "They have done this (Citizenship Amendment Act) on the basis of religion. You took all the religions along but left Islam. What enmity do (Narendra) Modi and Amit Shah have with Islam that they leave Muslims behind always." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SUPPORTERS OF INDIA'S RULING BHARATIYA JANATA PARTY SITTING HOLDING A HUGE INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG FORMER CHIEF MINISTER OF INDIA'S WESTERN MAHARASHTRA STATE, DEVENDRA FADNAVIS (WEARING GREY HALF-SLEEVE JACKET) AND OTHERS SITTING ON STAGE AS A SPEAKER RAISES SLOGANS SUPPORTERS HOLDING INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG TOP VIEW OF SUPPORTERS HOLDING INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG
- Embargoed: 10th January 2020 15:11
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India Jama Masjid Muslims New Delhi protests
- Location: KOLKATA, SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: KOLKATA, SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA003BBR31AN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of protesters came out on the streets across India on Friday (December 27) to demand the government to repeal a Citizenship law that grants citizenship to minorities of neighbouring nations on the basis of religion.
The Citizenship Amendment Act makes it easier for people from non-Muslim minorities in Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who settled in India prior to 2015 to get Indian citizenship.
Protesters in India's eastern Kolkata, Siliguri and New Delhi took out rallies, where they raised slogans, carried placards, flags and posters to condemn the government. In western Mumbai city protesters sang anti-government songs as they staged demonstrations.
At least 25 people have been killed in protests across the country since the law, seen as discriminatory towards Muslims, was adopted on December 11.
Critics say the exclusion of Muslims is discriminatory and that the award of citizenship based on religion is an attack on the secular constitution.
Meanwhile in Mumbai city, former chief of Maharashtra state along with India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party supporters took part in a rally to support the law.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None