- Title: Thousands take to streets to protest Citizenship law in India
- Date: 27th December 2019
- Summary: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS SITTING HOLDING POSTERS, PLACARDS AS SOME STAND PROTESTERS SITTING/POSTER IN HANDS OF PROTESTER READING (Hindi): 'OUR PRIME MINISTER BLUFFS A LOT' PROTESTERS SINGING
- Embargoed: 10th January 2020 15:11
- Keywords: Citizenship Amendment Act India Jama Masjid Muslims New Delhi protests
- Location: KOLKATA, SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: KOLKATA, SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002BBR31AN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of protesters came out on the streets across India on Friday (December 27) to demand the government to repeal a Citizenship law that grants citizenship to minorities of neighbouring nations on the basis of religion.
The Citizenship Amendment Act makes it easier for people from non-Muslim minorities in Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who settled in India prior to 2015 to get Indian citizenship.
Protesters in India's eastern Kolkata, Siliguri and New Delhi took out rallies, where they raised slogans, carried placards, flags and posters to condemn the government. In western Mumbai city protesters sang anti-government songs as they staged demonstrations.
At least 25 people have been killed in protests across the country since the law, seen as discriminatory towards Muslims, was adopted on December 11.
Critics say the exclusion of Muslims is discriminatory and that the award of citizenship based on religion is an attack on the secular constitution.
Meanwhile in Mumbai city, former chief of Maharashtra state along with India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party supporters took part in a rally to support the law.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.