- Title: Kazakhstan suspends all Bek Air flights after deadly crash
- Date: 27th December 2019
- Summary: ALMATY, KAZAKHSTAN (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN AIRPORT VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE IN AIRPORT VARIOUS OF AIRPORT VIEWS AMBULANCE NEAR AIRPORT NUR-SULTAN, KAZAKHSTAN (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PASSENGERS STANDING NEAR BEK AIR TICKET OFFICE IN AIRPORT VARIOUS OF MAN TALKING TO BEK AIR EMPLOYEE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE TALKING TO AIRPORT EMPLOYEE
- Embargoed: 10th January 2020 09:50
- Keywords: Almaty Bek Air plane Kazakhstan air disaster crash plane
- Location: ALMATY AND NUR-SULTAN, KAZAKHSTAN
- City: ALMATY AND NUR-SULTAN, KAZAKHSTAN
- Country: Kazakhstan
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA003BBR3FIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A passenger plane carrying nearly 100 people crashed near the city of Almaty in Kazakhstan on Friday (December 27) after take off, slamming into a house in an accident that killed 12 people and injured dozens.
The Fokker 100 aircraft, operated by Bek Air, got into trouble shortly after departing from Almaty, the Central Asian country's commercial center, on a pre-dawn flight en route to the capital Nur-Sultan.
It lost altitude during takeoff and broke through a concrete fence before hitting the two-storey building, Kazakhstan's Civil Aviation Committee said. It was not immediately clear what caused the crash.
Almaty heathcare authorities said 66 people were taken to hospital, some of them in a serious condition.
The plane had been carrying 93 passengers and five crew, and Kazakhstan's interior ministry said the captain was among those killed.
The ministry said it was investigating a possible breach of flight operation and safety rules, a standard legal procedure. There was thick fog in the area at the time of the crash.
Kazakhstan's aviation committee said it was suspending all flights by carrier Bek Air and those of Fokker 100 aircraft pending the results of the investigation.
(Production: Tamara Vaal, Pavel Mikheyev, Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None