- Title: Newly facelifted Big Ben to ring in New Year in London
- Date: 28th December 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (FILE - APRIL 27, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT AS BIG BEN CHIMES
- Embargoed: 11th January 2020 14:58
- Keywords: Big Ben New Year's Eve bell landmark clock tower parliament ringing in the new year scaffolding
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC11V0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Britain's Big Ben bell in parliament's landmark clock tower will ring at midnight on New Year's Eve, marking the start of a year for the first time since its new face was revealed from under scaffolding halfway through restoration work.
The work has seen the 96-metre-tall Elizabeth Tower, one of the most photographed buildings in Britain, enveloped in scaffolding as the four clock dials are reglazed, ironwork repainted and intricately carved stonework cleaned and repaired.
In March, part of the scaffolding was removed, showing that the clock's once black numerals and hands have been repainted blue, in line with what scientists say was its original colour.
Since restoration work began in 2017, Big Ben has been largely silenced, sounding only for important events. It last tolled on Remembrance Day on November 11.
The bell will be tested several times in the run-up to the New Years' Eve, parliament said in a statement.
The restoration work is due to be completed in 2021 and will be followed by a 4-billion-pound ($5.2 billion) restoration programme of the entire parliament building.
(Production: Maria Kiselyova, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None