- Title: Thousands march in nationwide protests against India citizenship law
- Date: 28th December 2019
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED AGAINST CITIZENSHIP LAW / LARGE INDIAN FLAG / PEOPLE CHANTING PLACARD WITH HEADS OF INDIAN PRIME MINISTER, NARENDRA MODI AND INDIAN HOME MINISTER, AMIT SHAH PLACED ON WOMEN'S BODIES VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED AGAINST CITIZENSHIP LAW / LARGE INDIAN FLAG / PEOPLE CHANTING (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMMITTEE MEMBER TAMIL NADU THOWHEED JAMATH (NON-POLITICAL ISLAMIC ORGANIZATION), GHANI, SAYING: "Ruling government has been, you know, enjoying all the facilities of Muslims by the votes and they have been running a five-term, five year term of, you know, their rule but still we are witnessing that they are actually against Muslims. They are trading Muslims now. Now, Muslims will not forget this one and Muslims will definitely show their anger in upcoming elections." SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SEATED PROTESTERS HOLDING INDIAN FLAGS AND POSTERS CHILD WAVING INDIAN FLAG PROTEST EVENT / PROTESTERS WAVING INDIAN FLAGS PROTEST LEADERS SITTING ON STAGE SEATED PROTESTERS HOLDING INDIAN FLAGS AND PLACARDS VARIOUS OF PROTEST EVENT / MAN SINGING MAN MAKING SPEECH PEOPLE WAVING INDIAN FLAGS AND PLACARDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, BALAN, SAYING: "We oppose CAA (Citizenship Amendment Act). It is equivalent to Nuremberg Act (Laws), 1935 enacted by Hitler. It (CAA) is a stepping stone for Holocaust." GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF LEADER OF INDIA'S OPPOSITION CONGRESS PARTY, RAHUL GANDHI / OTHER PARTY MEMBERS ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LEADER OF INDIA'S OPPOSITION CONGRESS PARTY, RAHUL GANDHI, SAYING: "You cannot attack our culture and history. We are one and we will work together." BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF CONGRESS PARTY MEMBERS AND PROTEST SUPPORTERS MARCHING AND WAVING FLAGS AND PLACARDS
- Embargoed: 11th January 2020 14:13
- Keywords: BJP Citizenship Amendment Act Congress India Muslims Narendra Modi Rahul Gandhi protests
- Location: VARIOUS, INDIA
- City: VARIOUS, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBW1QH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of protesters marched across India on Saturday (December 28), to condemn a new citizenship law they feel discriminates against Muslims.
Massive crowds took to the streets in India's southern city of Chennai and in the eastern city of Bhubaneswar, where India's opposition party led a rally to reject the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
One protester in Shivamogga blasted the CAA as an equivalent to the Nuremberg Act of 1935, saying it was a stepping stone to the Holocaust.
In Guwahati, the leader of India's opposition congressional party Rahul Gandhi, called the law an attack on culture and history.
The CAA aims to fast-track citizenship for persecuted Hindus, Parsis, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Christians who arrived in India before 2015, from Muslim-majority Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
Critics say the law is an attack on the country's secular constitution by the Hindu nationalist government lead by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
(Production: Michael Fiorentino)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None