- Title: Truck bomb kills at least 90 in Mogadishu
- Date: 28th December 2019
- Summary: DRIP GOING INTO WOUNDED MAN'S ARM
- Embargoed: 11th January 2020 15:57
- Keywords: Mogadishu Somalia blast bomb
- Location: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- City: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
- Country: Somalia
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA004BBW27UV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 90 people were killed when a bomb-laden truck exploded at a busy checkpoint in the Somali capital Mogadishu on Saturday (December 28), an international organisation working in the country said, in the deadliest attack in more than two years.
The dead included many students and two Turkish nationals, Somalia's foreign minister said, adding that dozens were injured.
Somali Deputy Minister for Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Abdirashid Mohamud, said that 73 dead bodies were brought to Madina hospital following the rush hour blast at Ex-Control Junction.
However, a report by an international organisation, which did not want to be named, said the death toll was actually more than 90 and that university students and 17 police officers were among those killed. A Somali MP also tweeted that he had been told the death toll stands at more than 90.
No-one immediately claimed responsibility for the blast but the city's mayor blamed al Qaeda-linked Islamist group al Shabaab.
(Production: Abdirahman Hussein, Jackson Njehia)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material