- Title: 'Citizenship Act stepping stone to Holocaust': Indians protest new law
- Date: 28th December 2019
- Summary: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) TOP VIEW OF PROTESTERS GATHERED, SOME HOLDING LONG CLOTH REPRESENTING INDIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH LONG CLOTH REPRESENTING INDIAN FLAG, PLACARDS AND OTHER FLAGS WALKING AND RAISING SLOGANS BANNER IN HANDS OF A PROTESTER READING (English) 'WHO WANT TO SEE MY GRANDFATHER PROOF- COME TO KHABRASTHAN (GRAVEYARD)' INDIAN FLAG IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS/PROTESTERS RASING SLOGANS PLACARD WITH PICTURES OF HEADS OF INDIAN PRIME MINISTER, NARENDRA MODI AND INDIAN HOME MINISTER, AMIT SHAH PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN FLAGS, OTHER FLAGS, PLACARDS AND BANNERS RAISING SLOGANS LONG CLOTH REPRESENTING INDIAN FLAG IN HANDS OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN FLAGS AND POSTERS RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COMMITTEE MEMBER TAMIL NADU THOWHEED JAMATH (NON-POLITICAL ISLAMIC ORGANIZATION), GHANI, SAYING: "Ruling government has been you know enjoying all the facilities of Muslims by the votes and they have been running a five -term, five year term of you know their rule but still we are witnessing that they are actually against Muslims. They are trading Muslims now. Now, Muslims will not forget this one and Muslims will definitely show their anger in upcoming elections." SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PROTESTERS WITH INDIAN FLAGS AND POSTERS SITTING CHILD WAVING INDIAN FLAG VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SITTING MAN SINGING PROTESTERS WAVING INDIAN FLAGS MAN SPEAKING POSTER IN HANDS OF A PROTESTER READING (English) 'REJECT NRC, CAA AND NPR' (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, BALAN, SAYING: "We oppose CAA (Citizenship Amendment Act). It is equivalent to Nuremberg Act (Laws), 1935 enacted by (Adolf) Hitler. It (CAA) is a stepping stone for Holocaust." GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF LEADER OF INDIA'S OPPOSITION CONGRESS PARTY, RAHUL GANDHI SITTING ALONG WITH OTHER PARTY MEMBERS ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LEADER OF INDIA'S OPPOSITION CONGRESS PARTY, RAHUL GANDHI, SAYING: "You cannot attack our culture and history. We are one and we will work together." BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CONGRESS PARTY MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS WALKING HOLDING BANNER, FLAGS AND PLACARDS VARIOUS OF MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS WALKING AND RAISING SLOGANS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS WALKING MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS RAISING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS WALKING
- Embargoed: 11th January 2020 13:22
- Keywords: BJP Citizenship Amendment Act Congress India Muslims Narendra Modi Rahul Gandhi protests
- Location: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA/ BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA/ GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA
- City: CHENNAI, TAMIL NADU/ SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA/ BHUBANESWAR, ODISHA/ GUWAHATI, ASSAM, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBW2DE7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People in different parts of India condemned a new Citizenship Law as they continued holding marches and rallies on Saturday (December 28), claiming the act to be stepping stone to Holocaust.
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) aims to fast-track citizenship for persecuted Hindus, Parsis, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Christians who arrived in India before December 31, 2014, from Muslim-majority Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
"We oppose CAA (Citizenship Amendment Act). It is equivalent to Nuremberg Act (Laws), 1935 enacted by (Adolf) Hitler. It (CAA) is a stepping stone for Holocaust," said a protester, Balan while protesting the law in India's southern Shivamogga city.
Massive crowd of protesters emerged in India's southern Chennai city carrying a huge cloth representing Indian flag along with placards, posters as they marched on the roads to criticize the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi led government for making a religion based law.
In eastern Bhubaneswar city, India's opposition Congress party took out a rally as they rejected the law.
Critics say the law - and plans for a national citizenship register - discriminate against Muslims and are an attack on the country's secular constitution by the Hindu nationalist government of Modi.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None