- Title: Acting Latin Patriarch departs Jerusalem for Bethlehem Christmas mass
- Date: 24th December 2019
- Summary: JERUSALEM (DECEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) ACTING LATIN PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM, PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA, GREETING WOMEN BEFORE DEPARTING JERUSALEM ON WAY TO BETHLEHEM FOR CHRISTMAS PRAYERS SIGN READING 'LATIN PATRIARCHATE' LATIN PATRIARCH'S CONVOY DRIVING OUT OF JERUSALEM VARIOUS OF PATRIARCH GREETING WORSHIPPERS, TOURISTS, OUTSIDE ISRAELI SIDE OF CHECKPOINT BETWEEN ISRAEL AND THE WEST BANK (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTING LATIN PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA, SAYING: "Christmas for us is to celebrate the hope that is still living, maybe not in the big institution but in the small ones, the little ones, in all the societies." GIRLS DRESSED AS SANTAS STANDING IN A CAR, WAVING MAN DRESSED AS SANTA SAYING 'MERRY CHRISTMAS! HO HO HO' VARIOUS OF ISRAELI POLICEMEN ON HORSEBACKS ACCOMPANYING PATRIARCH'S CONVOY CAR CARRYING ACTING PATRIARCH DRIVING THROUGH GATE IN ISRAEL'S WEST BANK BARRIER CAR CARRYING GIRLS DRESSED AS SANTAS DRIVING THROUGH GATE, MAN DRESSED AS SANTA SAYING 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' FROM INSIDE CAR ISRAELI SOLDIERS / CAR CARRYING GIRLS DRESSED AS SANTAS DRIVING AWAY ISRAELI SOLDIERS ON ROOF TOP PATRIARCH'S CONVOY DRIVING NEAR ISRAEL'S WEST BANK BARRIER PATRIARCH GREETING PEOPLE NEAR CHECKPOINT (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTING LATIN PATRIARCH OF JERUSALEM PIERBATTISTA PIZZABALLA, SAYING: "If we look to our human realities -- politics, social, economics -- we have not so much hope because we see the weakness of politics: Unemployment, many problems in our families. On the other side, I see a growth in the communities, commitment, volunteers, desire, specially in the youth to do something for their societies, for their families. This is my hope. My hope is that these people can make Christmas not just today but every day because this is what we need. With them, there will be future. Thank you." BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (DECEMBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CAR CARRYING LATIN PATRIARCH DRIVING THROUGH CHECKPOINT
- Embargoed: 7th January 2020 12:26
- Keywords: Bethlehem Christmas Jerusalem Latin Patriarch
- Location: JERUSALEM/ BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- City: JERUSALEM/ BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBC4OCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jerusalem's acting Latin Patriarch made his way to Bethlehem, the town revered as the birthplace of Jesus, on Tuesday (December 24) for Christmas mass.
Archbishop Pierbattista Pizzaballa led an annual procession from Jerusalem to Bethlehem where he will lead Midnight Mass in the Church of the Nativity, originally built in the 4th century.
Pizzaballa was greeted by tourists and worshippers and voiced hope for a better future as he passed through Israel's West Bank barrier which separates Jerusalem and Bethlehem.
Bethlehem's Christmas season lasts through the Eastern Orthodox celebration on January 7 to Armenian Christmas on January 18.
The Palestinian town is enjoying its busiest tourist year in two decades, with foreign pilgrims coming in large numbers, taking advantage of a relative lull in Israeli-Palestinian tension.
(Eli Berlzon, Dedi Hayun, Ilan Rosenberg, Sinan abu-Mizar, Mohammed abu-Ganeyeh, Mustafa abu-Ganeyeh, Lianne Back, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None