- Title: Fog thickens as cold wave sweeps northern India
- Date: 28th December 2019
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES PLYING ON THE ROAD AMID THICK FOG METRO TRAIN MOVING AMID FOG VARIOUS OF VEHICLES PLYING ON THE ROAD AMID THICK FOG NEW DELHI'S AKSHARDHAM TEMPLE SEEN AMID FOG VEHICLES PLYING ON THE ROAD AMID THICK FOG (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NEW DELHI RESIDENT, ABHIJEET, SAYING: "As far as I can see, visibility is very low. Though fog is decreasing a little bit but let us sees, may be later in the day it will decrease more." LUDHIANA, PUNJAB (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES PLYING ON THE ROAD AMID THICK FOG MAN SITTING ON A TWO-WHEELER HALTED AT TRAFFIC SIGNAL RUBBING HIS HANDS PEOPLE WEARING CAPS AND HOODS, STANDING LOCALS COVERED IN WARM CLOTHES WALKING TEA TEA BEING POURED IN CUPS MAN POURING TEA PEOPLE HAVING TEA AT A TEA-STALL VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING AROUND A FIRE AND WARMING THEIR HANDS FIRE (SOUNDBITE) (Punjabi) LUDHIANA RESIDENT, SARABJEET, SAYING: "We have left our work and we are sitting near fire to keep ourselves warm and sipping on hot tea. It is very cold. (Reporter asking: After how many years do you think it is this cold? I think this year is the coldest in ten years." AMRITSAR, PUNJAB (DECEMBER 28, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) POLICE BARRICADE/TWO-WHEELER PLAYING ON THE ROAD MAN PULLING A RICKSHAW AND ANOTHER WALKING WITH A BICYCLE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON ROADSIDE/VEHICLES PLYING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING AROUND FIRE AND WARMING THEIR HANDS VEHICLES PLYING ON THE ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Punjabi) RESIDENT, SARJEET SINGH, SAYING: "It is very cold and I think the temperature has broken the records of many years. (Reporter asking: What are the problems you are facing?) We are facing a lot of problems. Animals fall sick, people fall sick and children also fall sick in the cold. My hands and feet are swollen because of cold. There is no relief from cold as we have not been able to see the sun from last 4-5 days." SINGH RIDING A BICYCLE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING AROUND FIRE AND WARMING THEIR HANDS
- Embargoed: 11th January 2020 06:13
- Keywords: Cold wave India New Delhi fog sun winter
- Location: LUDHIANA, AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: LUDHIANA, AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Environment,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001BBW2A8F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fog thickened as icy winds swept through most parts of northern India on Saturday (December 28) as cold wave conditions intensified.
The cold winds coming from the northwest direction have led to drop in temperatures in many north Indian cities.
A thick blanket of fog engulfed the national capital New Delhi with very low visibility.
People in northern Ludhiana and Amritsar were seen huddled around fires to keep themselves warm. They wrapped themselves in multiple layers of clothing as a shield against the inclement weather.
Tea stalls did brisk business as people queued up to get a hot cup of tea to escape the biting cold.
Snowfall in states like Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh has a direct impact in other northern states like Punjab, Haryana, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
South Asia's winters are not as cold as other regions such as North America, but the millions of poor here are hit harder because they live in the open and do not have enough warm clothes and often die.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None