- Title: 'Killing Zac Efron' star is home after falling ill in PNG
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - MARCH 28, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF ACTOR ZAC EFRON, SINGER JIMMY BUFFETT, DIRECTOR HARMONY KORINE, ACTOR ISLA FISHER, ACTOR MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY AND ACTOR-RAPPER SNOOP DOGG POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS EFRON POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE -JANUARY 7, 2018) (REUTERS) ACTOR ZAC EFRON ON RED CARPET LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE -APRIL 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, ZAC EFRON (R), SITTING NEXT TO CO-STAR, ACTRESS LILY COLLINS (L), ON HAVING ANY CONCERNS ABOUT PLAYING TED BUNDY, CONSIDERING EFRON'S 'GOOD GUY' IMAGE THROUGHOUT HIS CAREER, SAYING: "This was a way into a genre that I thought was a little bit more cerebral than your standard hack and slash movie. This is an in-depth look into one of the worst mass manipulators of the public and mass murderers of young girls and women probably ever, and it's a hard story to tell without the elements that I would be scared to promote." NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - DECEMBER 8, 2017) (REUTERS) ZAC EFRON POSING FOR PICTURES ON RED CARPET EFRON SPEAKING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) ZAC EFRON, ACTOR, SAYING: "The movie is so important I think and it does have a lot to say, but it's also really fun and very pertinent to now. It's very exciting to be in musicals that speak to our generation, that have important messages kind of laid throughout about opening your mind and opening your heart and you know, not being afraid of who you are."
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 01:41
- Keywords: Zac Efron actor illness recovery
- Location: INTERNET; LOS ANGELES, BEVERLY HILLS, INGLEWOOD, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES; LONDON, ENGLAND, UK; CANNES, FRANCE
- City: INTERNET; LOS ANGELES, BEVERLY HILLS, INGLEWOOD, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES; LONDON, ENGLAND, UK; CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA002BC63GHZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:American actor Zac Efron confirmed that he recently fell ill while filming a survival reality TV show in Papua New Guinea.
Australian media had reported that 32-year-old Efron was flown by helicopter for treatment in Australia after contracting a bacterial infection, possibly typhoid, while shooting the "Killing Zac Efron" series.
In a post on his official Twitter account, accompanied by a photograph of him with families in Papua New Guinea, Efron said that he was back home "for the holidays with my friends and family."
"Very thankful to everyone who has reached out," his post said. "I did get sick in Papua New Guinea but I bounced back quick and finished an amazing 3 weeks in P.N.G."
Glenn McKay, a doctor with the Medical Rescue Group, told the Daily Telegraph newspaper on Sunday that he could not discuss confidential patient information, but could confirm "that Medical Rescue retrieved a U.S. citizen in his 30s from PNG to Brisbane recently for medical attention."
The newspaper reported that doctors allowed Efron to fly home to Los Angeles on Christmas Eve.
Typhoid fever is transmitted by contaminated food and water, and kills 216,000 to 600,000 people worldwide each year.
"Killing Zac Efron" is billed as an adventure series in which "The Greatest Showman" star ventures "deep into the jungles of a remote, dangerous island to carve his own name in expedition history."
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None