- Title: More than a thousand gather for rain-soaked Hong Kong rally
- Date: 29th December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 29, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS RALLYING IN RAIN SLOGAN FLAG WAVING / UMBRELLAS PROTESTERS RALLYING IN RAIN PROTESTERS STANDING WITH UMBRELLA / PROTESTER WAVING SLOGAN FLAG, READING (English/Chinese): "FREE HONG KONG, REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WRITING TO SHARE THOUGHTS ON A PROTESTING TIMELINE BANNER PAINTING OF BAUHINIA FLOWER AND MANDARIN WORDS "FREE HONG KONG" (SOUNDBITE) (English) 20-YEAR-OLD UNIVERSITY STUDENT, MALCOLM, SAYING: "From the start to now, it's only been half a year. Some says it's a long period of time, some says it's not. But you can definitely see there is a lot of change in half a year. You know, whether be the police's tactic, government's tactics, the Chinese government their hands into the technology firms spreading propaganda and stuff like that. We need to change our forces, we need to change accordingly. You know, just the same thing over and over again, people are going to find annoying, but keep fighting." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WRITING ON TIMELINE BANNER
- Embargoed: 12th January 2020 09:07
- Keywords: Central Hong Kong protests rally
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC11KQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: More than a thousand people rallied peacefully in a park in Hong Kong's financial district on Sunday (Sunday 29), chanting slogans for democracy as they huddled under a sea of umbrellas.
The crowd, a mix of young and elderly people, wore black and turquoise surgical masks to hide their identities as they listened to organizers speaking on a makeshift stage. A long black cloth depicting Hong Kong protest timeline was set on the ground for participants to pen their thoughts.
Hong Kong has been convulsed by more than six months of protests, triggered by a now-withdrawn bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China, where courts are controlled by the Communist Party.
The demonstrations have since evolved into a broader pro-democracy movement and became more confrontational over the festive season.
More protests are planned in the next few days, including a countdown to New Year's Day and a march on Jan. 1 that could attract a big crowd.
(Production: Joyce Zhou)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None