- Title: People with disabilities run for charity at Egypt marathon
- Date: 29th December 2019
- Summary: SUEZ, EGYPT (DECEMBER 27, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES PARTICIPATING IN ZAYED CHARITY MARATHON STARTING RACE VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS ON WHEELCHAIRS DURING MARATHON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) ZAYED CHARITY MARATHON CEO, AHMED AL KAABY, SAYING: "(The marathon is in) Suez governorate, just like the last five marathons, we will see a beautiful and wonderful edition this time too. Preparations began four months ago until we started the execution. There's a clear goal, which is donation, goodwill and success. And of course, you know that Egypt is the land of prosperity. And so that's our goal and we're working on achieving it." VARIOUS OF PARTICIPANTS WITH DISABILITIES ON WHEELCHAIRS DURING MARATHON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PARTICIPANT WITH DISABILITY, NASSER YOUSSEF, SAYING: "This is what integration is; just like the state cares about those who are able, it also cares about those with disabilities and is holding a marathon for them at the same time, at the same level of detail and I can see that the organisation is great too." VARIOUS OF ATHLETES RUNNING DURING MARATHON (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MINISTER OF YOUTH AND SPORTS, ASHRAF SOBHI, SAYING: "Every year the revenues go to a certain charity organisation. We started with Children Cancer Hospital 57357, then we moved to liver disease then the Orman Hospital and Misr Al Khair NGO. This year (the revenues) are going to Cairo University's National Cancer Institute. The sports side is also very important as well. We have to limit online (registration) because if we don't put a limit, you'd see very large numbers." VARIOUS OF RUNNERS REACHING FINISH LINE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PARTICIPANT WITH DISABILITY, NAME UNKNOWN, SAYING: "I didn't participate the past years, but this year I did. I felt like there's something more we needed to do instead of just doing athletics." FORMER FOOTBALLER, AHMED SHOBEIR, DURING AWARDS CEREMONY VARIOUS OF WINNERS ON WHEELCHAIRS ON STAGE RECEIVING AWARDS MARATHON WINNERS ON STAGE RUNNERS DURING RACE
- Embargoed: 12th January 2020 15:15
- Keywords: Egypt Marathon Marathon for people with disabilities People with disabilities in Egypt Suez Zayed Charity Marathon
- Location: SUEZ, EGYPT
- City: SUEZ, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Athletics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC12TSL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Disability is no barrier for a number of wheelchair-bound athletes who participated in a charity marathon held in Egypt's Suez city on Friday (December 27).
The 6th edition of the UAE-sponsored Zayed Charity Marathon kicked off, attracting over 20,000 people participating in races held for both people with disabilities and non-disabled athletes.
Proceeds of this year's marathon will support Cairo University's National Cancer Institute.
Some of the participants with disabilities brought their children to the event to help wheel them into victory.
Winners of both races received financial awards worth 2 million pounds ($124,600), organisers say.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Arwa Gaballa, Mostafa Salem, Mohammed Zaki)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None