- Title: Argentines remember victims of Cromagnon's tragedy
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) RELATIVES OF VICTIMS/SURVIVORS GATHERED OUTSIDE SITE OF CROMAGNON NIGHTCLUB TRAGEDY GRAFFITI OUTSIDE NIGHTCLUB WALL THAT READS (Spanish) "THEY ONLY WANTED ROCK" HAND PRINTS ON WALL ILLUSTRATION OF PAIR OF SHOES FEATURING NUMBER ''194'' WHICH REFERS TO NUMBER OF VICTIMS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LOOKING AT PICTURES OF THE VICTIMS FAMILY OF VICTIMS AT CROMAGNON'S TRAGEDY AND SURVIVORS OUTSIDE NIGHTCLUB WOMAN HOLDING PAIR OF SHOES BELONGING TO HER SON WHO PERISHED IN THE FIRE MOTHERS OF VICTIMS TALKING TO ONE ANOTHER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MOTHER OF VICTIM, SILVIA BIGNAMI, SAYING: "When the youngsters wanted to get out (the nightclub), the doors were closed, windows were shut and they should not have been locked with padlocks. The emergency operation was terrible. The firefighters didn't know what to do. The triage was not respected, which is an international system. There weren't enough ambulance cars. The youngsters had to share oxygen masks. It was a disaster waiting to happen."
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 20:42
- Keywords: Argentina Buenos Aires Cromagnon anniversary nightclub
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC64QBN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Relatives of victims and survivors of the 2004 fire in Cromagnon, a former Buenos Aries night club, in which 194 people were killed leading to the removal of then Buenos Aires Mayor, Anibal Ibarra, gathered outside the premises of the club on Monday (December 30) to demand justice, 15 years after the tragedy.
The main demand being that Argentina impose longer sentences to the culprits behind the fire. According to local media, those found guilty have completed their sentences and been released.
The tragedy - in which more 1,400 were injured - occurred on New Year's Eve.
The blaze was caused by a flare being fired into the club's ceiling, sending burning debris on to the crowd, which in turn triggered a stampede in the dark.
Most of the victims died from inhaling poisonous gases, smoke and carbon monoxide.
It was one of Argentina's worst tragedies in recent memory.
(Production: Horacio Soria, Miguel Lo Bianco)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None