- Title: Muraled elephants with eyeliners participate in beauty pageant in Nepal
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: SAURAHA, NEPAL (DECEMBER 29, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ELEPHANTS ON FOOTBALL FIELD WITH SPECTATORS WATCHING ON ELEPHANT WITH 'MAHOUT' (ELEPHANT TRAINER) AMID CROWD ELEPHANTS WITH 'MAHOUTS' ON FOOTBALL FIELD ELEPHANT KICKING A FOOTBALL AND SCORING A GOAL 'MAHOUTS' RIDING ELEPHANTS DURING THE SHOW ELEPHANTS PLAYING FOOTBALL ELEPHANTS WITH 'MAHOUTS' AMID CROWD SPECTATORS VARIOUS ELEPHANTS NEXT TO CROWDS OF SPECTATORS VARIOUS OF AN ELEPHANT WITH MURAL PAINTING ON HIDE DECORATED ELEPHANTS IN FIELD SPECTATORS VARIOUS OF A 'MAHOUT' SITTING ON A DECORATED ELEPHANT AS IT STANDS UP SPECTATORS PAINTED ELEPHANT (SOUNDBITE) (Nepali) 'MAHOUT', JIRE CHAUDHARY, SAYING: "It has been around three-and-half years since I am coming here (the festival). We give them (elephants) training, we teach them all the things. (REPORTER ASKING: How long does it take to train the elephants?) "It takes around six-to-seven months to prepare them, and then only they are allowed to come here." A WOMAN INTERACTING WITH AN ELEPHANT AND POSING FOR PHOTOS ELEPHANT AMID CROWD ELEPHANTS IN THE FIELD SPECTATORS LOOK ON
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 16:20
- Keywords: Elephants Nepal Sauraha mahout show
- Location: SAURAHA, NEPAL
- City: SAURAHA, NEPAL
- Country: Nepal
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC63DCP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Elephants with mural paintings over their bodies, nail polish on nails and tippy-toes on Sunday (December 29) participated in an unusual elephants' beauty pageant in Nepal's southern tourist destination Sauraha.
This year's celebrations marked the 16th edition of the annual 'Chitwan Elephant Festival', in which the beauty pageant enthralled a large number of visitors at the tourist hub from across the country.
A 'Mahout' (elephant trainer), Jire Chaudhary said the elephants participating in the show were trained affectionately for around six-to-seven months, which included a long series of procedures and preparedness.
A total of five elephants participated in this years event, in which elephant who were jugged on the basis of overall cleanliness of both body, nails, elephant walking style and discipline for obeying the instructions given by the 'Mahouts'.
The festival is a great opportunity to interact with the biggest terrestrial mammal on earth, and it also generates awareness about them.
(Production: Surinder Kapoor, Mike Davidson)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None