- Title: Silent marches new norm in India's citizenship protests
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF STUDENTS MARCHING DURING A SILENT PROTEST PROTESTER HOLDING A PLACARD IN ONE HAND AND FLAG OF INDIA IN ANOTHER HOLDING THEM ALOFT STUDENTS MARCHING FEET OF PROTESTERS/ PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (English) AN UNIDENTIFIED STUDENT PROTESTER, SAYING: "If we are protesting against something, you can't come and kill us, right? We have a right to life. You can't just come and kill us and destroy our libraries, that is how we get education." PURULIA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF CHIEF OF INDIA'S EASTERN WEST BENGAL STATE, MAMATA BANERJEE, LEADING A PROTEST MARCH VARIOUS OF PURULIA RESIDENTS WATCHING THE MARCH (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CHIEF OF INDIA'S EASTERN WEST BENGAL STATE, MAMATA BANERJEE, SAYING: "We won't let them kick anyone out, this is our promise. Centre can make laws but who implements it? States do... Centre has no authority here, how will they implement the law here. If you see in India, 90 percent states are in the hands of their opposition parties, not in the hands of BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party)." KANNUR, KERALA, INDIA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SD) PROTESTS UNDERWAY POLICE TRYING TO MOVE A PROTESTER PROTESTS UNDERWAY VARIOUS OF WOMEN POLICE MOVING PROTESTERS NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) SECURITY PERSONNEL WALKING NEAR INDIA GATE WAR MEMORIAL PROTESTERS WEARING MASKS AND CARRYING A LONG TRICOLOURED FLAG A PROTESTER WEARING A MASK STANDING PROTESTERS UNDER THE FLAG PROTESTERS CARRYING THE FLAG OVER THEIR HEAD AS INDIA GATE IS SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 14:02
- Keywords: CAA Citizenship Amendment Act India Mamata Banerjee NRC Pakistan protest refugees
- Location: PURULIA, KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ NEW DELHI/ KANNUR, KERALA, INDIA
- City: PURULIA, KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL/ NEW DELHI/ KANNUR, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC62UDR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Students, politicians, and members of youth politics, carried out silent marches across India on Monday (December 30) adding to the series of nationwide protests against new citizenship law.
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) aims to fast-track citizenship for persecuted Hindus, Parsis, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains and Christians who arrived in India before 2015, from Muslim-majority Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
In eastern Kolkata city in West Bengal, a students' group carried out a march in support of students of Jamia Milia Islamia and Aligarh Muslim University in the infamous incident of their clash with police in Delhi, earlier this month.
Chief of the state, Mamata Banerjee also carried out a march with her supporters in Purulia district and said the Centre could do nothing to force states in implementing the law.
Similar scenes were witnessed in New Delhi as well where members of Youth Congress wore masks and carried a huge tri-coloured flag in the colours of Indian national flag, in a march to India Gate War Memorial.
Critics say the law is an attack on the country's secular constitution by the Hindu nationalist government lead by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None