- Title: U.S. airstrike targets Iranian-backed Kataib Hezbollah militia group in Iraq
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: QAIM, IRAQ (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) SHIITE MILITIA LEADERS AND FIGHTERS INSPECTING DAMAGED AT HEADQUARTERS OF IRANIAN-BACKED KATAIB HEZBOLLAH MILITIA GROUP FOLLOWING U.S. AIR STRIKE MILITIA FIGHTER CARRYING REMAINS OF PERSON KILLED IN AIRSTRIKE VARIOUS OF DAMAGED HEADQUARTERS MILITIA FIGHTERS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED MILITIA FIGHTER, SAYING: ''Curse be upon Israel. We will never abandon the Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization forces, or paramilitary forces) even if we lose 100, 1000, 2000 fighters. We are steadfast. We will remain on borders, God willing.'' VARIOUS OF DAMAGE AND RUBBLE
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 11:37
- Keywords: Iranian-backed Kataib Hezbollah militia group US airstrikes
- Location: QAIM, IRAQ
- City: QAIM, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC63X3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The U.S. military carried out air strikes on Sunday (December 29) against the Iranian-backed Kataib Hezbollah militia group in response to the killing of a U.S. civilian contractor in a rocket attack on an Iraqi military base, officials said.
A top Iraqi militia leader warned of a strong response against U.S. forces in Iraq following the air strikes in Iraq and Syria overnight that hit several bases of his Iranian-backed group and killed at least 25 people.
Video obtained by Reuters showed the aftermath of a strike on the Kataib Hezbollah militia group headquaters in the Iraqi town of Qaim on Monday (December 30).
Tensions have heightened between Tehran and Washington - Iraq's two main allies - since last year when President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of Tehran's 2015 nuclear deal with six powers and reimposed sanctions that have crippled Iran's economy.
The air strikes come at a troubled time of protests in Iraq with thousands taking to the streets to condemn, among other things, militias such as Kataib Hezbollah and their Iranian backers.
(Production: Maher Nazrh, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None