- Title: One killed after town near Tripoli hit by airstrike - local media
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF SHOES, BLOOD ON WALL BLOOD ON WALL
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 10:54
- Keywords: Government of National Accord Haftar Libya Tajura city Tripoli airstrikes
- Location: TAJOURA, LIBYA
- City: TAJOURA, LIBYA
- Country: Libya
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA002BC63T53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: One person was killed after an air strike hit a residential area of the Libyan town of Tajoura, east of the capital Tripoli, on Sunday (December 29), local media reported.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. On Thursday (December 26), an air strike local officials blamed on Haftar's forces hit a pharmacy in Zawiya town, killing two people.
Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli has been struggling to fend off General Khalifa Haftar's forces, which have been supported by Russia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Jordan.
Last week, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan announced his government's decision to seek a parliamentary consent to send troops to Libya to defend the GNA in Tripoli against Haftar's forces.
Haftar's fighters have failed to reach the centre of Tripoli but have made small gains in recent weeks in some southern suburbs of the capital with the help of Russian and Sudanese fighters, as well as drones shipped by the UAE, diplomats say.
(Production: Mostafa Salem, Rosalind Church)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material