- Title: Tear gas fired at Iraqi protesters as they try to storm U.S. embassy
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MILITIA FIGHTERS AND PROTESTERS SMASHING WINDOWS OF THE RECEPTION ROOM OF U.S. EMBASSY IN BAGHDAD / PROTESTERS CHEERING AND CHANTING VARIOUS OF MILITIA FIGHTERS AND PROTESTERS OUTSIDE U.S. EMBASSY, SMOKE RISING VARIOUS OF FIRE SMOULDERING INSIDE A SECURITY KIOSK IN FRONT OF U.S. EMBASSY VARIOUS OF U.S. EMBASSY SECURITY PERSONNEL LOOKING AT PROTESTERS FROM BEHIND WALL OF U.S. EMBASSY VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS THROWING STONES AT EMBASSY / TEAR GAS BEING FIRED AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS SMASHING BRICKS INTO PIECES SOUNDBITE (Arabic) IRANIAN-BACKED MILITIA FIGHTER, WHO DID NOT WISH TO BE IDENTIFIED, SAYING: ''Today, we come here protesting the air strikes by an American drone near borders. We have 25 martyrs. Today we have revenged, we entered the U.S. embassy and set it on fire.'' PROTESTERS CHANTING IN FRONT OF U.S. EMBASSY VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS ENTERING U.S. EMBASSY THROUGH SMASHED WINDOWS, GRAFFITI READING (Arabic): "NO, NO AMERICA" SMASHED AND BURNT WINDOWS AMBULANCES PARKED NEAR U.S. EMBASSY AMBULANCE DRIVING AWAY FROM U.S. EMBASSY PROTESTER HOLDING MILITIA FLAG AND PLACARD READING (Arabic) ''IRAQ IS NO LONGER SAFE TO AMERICA AND ITS STOOGES'' PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF U.S. EMBASSY PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING IN FRONT OF U.S. EMBASSY U.S. EMBASSY SECURITY PERSONNEL INSIDE EMBASSY
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 15:41
- Keywords: Baghdad Iraq Kataib Hezbollah Protests U.S. air strikes U.S. embassy anti-U.S. protests
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB2XC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters and militia fighters enraged by U.S. air strikes on Iraq staged a violent demonstration outside the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad on Tuesday (December 31), torching a security post and hurling stones as security forces and embassy guards hit back with stun grenades and tear gas.
Iraqi officials said the ambassador and other staff had been evacuated, but this could not be confirmed with American officials.
The protesters and militiamen stormed and burned a security post at the entrance of the U.S. Embassy but did not breach the main compound, Reuters witnesses said.
They threw stones at the gate while others chanted, "No, no, America! No, no, Trump!"
Iraqi special forces were deployed around the main gate to prevent them entering the embassy. U.S.-trained and -equipped Iraqi Counter Terrorism forces later reinforced them.
Medical sources said 12 militiamen were wounded by the tear gas and stun grenades fired to disperse the crowd.
(Production: Khalid al-Mousily, Maher Nazeh, Jamil Ibrahim, Mohammed Katfan, Tanya Lezaic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None