- Title: India appoints outgoing army chief as first chief of defence staff
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: FRONT PAGE OF "THE TIMES OF INDIA" NEWSPAPER/HEADLINE IN "THE TIMES OF INDIA" READING (English) "GEN. RAWAT APPOINTED AS FIRST CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF" READING (English) "GEN. RAWAT APPOINTED AS FIRST CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF" MORE OF HEADLINE FRONT PAGE OF "THE INDIAN EXPRESS"/HEADLINE READING (English) "GEN RAWAT RETIRES AS ARMY CHIEF, BEGINS AS CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF" MORE OF HEADLINE READING (English) "GEN RAWAT RETIRES AS ARMY CHIEF, BEGINS AS CHIEF OF DEFENCE STAFF"
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 07:50
- Keywords: Bipin Rawat Chief of Defence Staff India Manoj Mukund Naravane New Delhi air force army navy
- Location: NEW DELHI/ LUDHIANA, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/ LUDHIANA, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA006BCB2DLB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The outgoing Indian Army Chief, Bipin Rawat was appointed India's first chief of defence staff on Monday (December 30) for better coordination between the army, air force, and navy.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced the post on August 15th Independence Day on August 15 to improve military integration.
Rawat received his farewell Guard of Honour as the army chief in New Delhi after which he handed over the charge to Manoj Mukund Naravane as the 28th Chief of Army Staff.
India had organised its military into three different services, each led by its own chief, since independence from Britain in 1947. Such an arrangement was thought necessary to ensure too much power was not concentrated in the hands of a single commander.
Defence experts have long called for such a post. A government committee recommended such a position in 1999, after India came close to war with Pakistan over the disputed region of Kashmir, to ensure the three defence arms operate together.
Rawat who will take charge as the chief of defence staff on Wednesday (January 01) will direct the military and act as an advisor to the government for faster decision-making.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.