- Title: Iraqi thrill seekers satisfy love for old cars in Sulaimaniya race
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ (DECEMBER 20, 2019) (REUTERS) CARS DRIVING DOWNHILL CARS DRIVING IN MOUNTAIN AREA DRIVER CHANGING CAR GEAR AND DRIVING CAR CARS DRIVING DOWNHILL CAR WHEEL VARIOUS OF CAR DRIVING AUDIENCE WATCHING VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING UPHILL / AUDIENCE CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CAPTAIN OF SLEMANI OFF ROAD GROUP, FAIQ SADIQ, SAYING: ''This Group (Slemani Off Road Group) has been established so that we could practise this game in an organised and international way. Our second goal is to practise our hobby freely and drive SUVs in rugged and dangerous areas.'' VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING IN MUDDY WATER CAR REVERSING IN MUDDY WATER AND DRIVING FORWARD IN ROCKY AREA (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CAPTAIN OF SLEMANI OFF ROAD GROUP, FAIQ SADIQ, SAYING: ''Most of the cars we use in this competition are old because they are relatively cheap, and their spare parts are available and cheap. Sometimes we make changes to the cars like replace the engine or axles with new ones.'' CAR DRIVING DOWNHILL VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING IN MUDDY AREA AUDIENCE SITTING ON HILL WATCHING COMPETITION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SPECTATOR, MOHAMMED SALIH, SAYING: ''Thank God, today we have come to the mountains of Kurdistan region, they are beautiful mountains and the youth here are skilled and aware of car sports. It is right that their cars are old but working well with new engines and systems.'' DRIVERS STANDING AROUND CARS DRIVER PUMPING UP CAR TIRE CAMERAMAN FILMING / MAN INSPECTING CAR CAR DRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CAPTAIN OF SLEMANI OFF ROAD GROUP, FAIQ SADIQ, SAYING: ''We hope to have championships not only at the level of Iraq and Kurdistan region, but we would also like to take part in international championships, as our drivers in Kurdistan are skilled and experienced.'' VARIOUS OF CAR REVERSING DOWNHILL CARS DRIVING DOWNHILL
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 12:14
- Keywords: Iraq Old model cars Racing Sulaimaniya
- Location: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- City: SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB3IOL
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Away from the unrest and political deadlock that have swept Baghdad and other southern provinces for the past three months, a group of off-road drivers took to the mountains at the Iraqi northern city of Sulaimaniya to let off some steam.
Established three years ago, the Slemani Off Road Group finds no greater joy than in driving and competing in the most rugged and dangerous of roads.
Tens of thrill seekers gather once or twice every week to show off their car stunts.
Enthusiasts and spectators are usually brought together to watch the daring display.
"Most of the cars we use in this competition are old because they are relatively cheap and their spare parts are available and cheap. Sometimes we make changes to the cars like replace the engine or axles with new ones," said the group's captain, Faiq Sadiq.
Sadiq wishes the group would one day compete internationally.
(Production: Saman Mahmoud, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None