- Title: Hong Kong protesters hold pro-democracy rallies in last hours of 2019
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON BUILDINGS
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 15:29
- Keywords: Hong Kong protesters New Year's Eve detained human chain road blocks shopping mall umbrella
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA004BCB322V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong demonstrators formed human chains and organised protests in shopping malls on New Year's Eve (December 31), urging people not to give up the fight for democracy in 2020, while police were out in force across the city to quell any unrest.
Police stopped and searched visitors at Harbour City, a shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui, before protesters started marching in the plaza as scheduled.
Authorities cancelled the popular midnight fireworks for the first time in a decade, citing security concerns.
The protests began in June 2019 in response to a now-withdrawn bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China, where courts are controlled by the Communist Party, and have evolved into a broader pro-democracy movement.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Joyce Zhou, Xihao Jiang, Yoyo Chow, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.