- Title: Hong Kong protesters hold pro-democracy rallies in last hours of 2019
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING UMBRELLAS BLOCKING ROAD OUTSIDE MONG KOK POLICE STATION VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RUNNING ALONG ROAD WITH CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR DECORATION TO BLOCK THE ROAD RIOT POLICE ARRIVING RIOT POLICE OFFICER HOLDING SPRAY CAN ARRESTED PROTESTER ON GROUND RIOT POLICE OFFICERS CLEARING ROAD BLOCK VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS FORMING HUMAN CHAIN ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) 19-YEAR-OLD PROTESTER, THOMAS, SAYING: "I think it's a very important day, that in the new year, we will also fight for democracy and freedom. We will never forget those who sacrificed their future and their lives. And we must let the government to accept our demands and so Hong Kong will be a better place in the future." PROTESTERS IN HUMAN CHAIN ON STREET POSTER OF A PROTESTER PROTESTER HOLDING A POSTER OF A PROTESTER VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GESTURING FIVE AND ONE, WHICH MEANS "FIVE DEMANDS, NOT ONE LESS" PROTESTERS MOVING TO MAKE HUMAN CHAIN VARIOUS OF POLICE STOPPING AND SEARCHING PROTESTERS IN HARBOUR CITY POLICE FORMING A LINE IN THE MALL RIOT POLICE SHIELD POLICE STOPPING-AND-SEARCHING A PROTESTER (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 22-YEAR-OLD, PHOTOGRAPHER, JUNE, SAYING: "There are a lot of injustice in Hong Kong, like police brutality and political white terror. Throughout this half year, I can't even spend my birthday happily. Today, on New Year's Eve, I still can't feel like celebrating. " VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING IN THE MALL LIGHT SHOW AT HARBOUR
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 15:29
- Keywords: Hong Kong protesters New Year's Eve detained human chain road blocks shopping mall umbrella
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB322V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong demonstrators formed human chains and organised protests in shopping malls on New Year's Eve (December 31), urging people not to give up the fight for democracy in 2020, while police were out in force across the city to quell any unrest.
Police stopped and searched visitors at Harbour City, a shopping mall in Tsim Sha Tsui, before protesters started marching in the plaza as scheduled.
Authorities cancelled the popular midnight fireworks for the first time in a decade, citing security concerns.
The protests began in June 2019 in response to a now-withdrawn bill that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China, where courts are controlled by the Communist Party, and have evolved into a broader pro-democracy movement.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Joyce Zhou, Xihao Jiang, Yoyo Chow, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None