- Title: Asia welcomes in 2020 with fireworks, lightshows and drums
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PERFORMER STANDING ON STAGE AND COUNTING DOWN BEIJING, CHINA (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) PERFORMERS DANCING AFTER COUNTING DOWN FINISHED
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 18:18
- Keywords: Auckland Australia City of Sydney Hyun-jin Ryu NYE New Year's Eve New Zealand North Korea Pengsoo Pyongyang South Korea Sydney Taipei Taiwan bell bushfires fireworks sky tower
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00ABCB22IV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Fireworks and lights danced across Asia as countries across the continent rang in 2020.
Australia celebrated with its annual fireworks display over Sydney Harbour Bridge and the iconic Sydney Opera House.
Sydney decided to press ahead with its fireworks display despite calls by some members of the public for it to be cancelled in solidarity with fire-hit areas in New South Wales, of which the city is the capital.
Taiwan launched fireworks over the Tapei 101 tower, while South Korea and Beijing rang in the New Year tolling bells, singing, dancing and banging drums.
Hong Kong revellers welcomed in 2020 on neon-lit promenades along the picturesque Victoria Harbour with small-scale pyrotechnics, as authorities cancelled the new year fireworks for the first time in a decade, citing security concerns.
(Production: Shane Tietjens, Paul Warren, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None