- Title: Indonesia's Anak Krakatau volcano erupts
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: SOUTH LAMPUNG, LAMPUNG PROVINCE, INDONESIA (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS ANAK KRAKATAU SPEWING VOLCANIC ASHES PEOPLE WATCHING ERUPTION FROM BOAT VARIOUS ERUPTION HEAD OF ANAK KRAKATAU OBSERVATION POST IN SOUTH LAMPUNG, ANDI SUARDI, LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) HEAD OF ANAK KRAKATAU OBSERVATION POST IN SOUTH LAMPUNG, ANDI SUARDI, SAYING: "The activity so far is still mainly small eruptions and ash spewed from the crater, (because of) this condition (we) put it (the status) as 'waspada', the second level (of Indonesia's volcano four-level alert scale)." VARIOUS SCREENS SHOWING REAL TIME ACTIVITY OF ANAK KRAKATAU (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Indonesia) HEAD OF ANAK KRAKATAU OBSERVATION POST IN SOUTH LAMPUNG, ANDI SUARDI, SAYING: "The volcano's height is still 157 meters above sea level, there is no significant change." ANAK KRAKATAU SPEWING ASH VARIOUS BURNED VEGETATION AND FOREST ON AN ISLAND NEAR ANAK KRAKATAU LAMPUNG ISLAND SEEN FROM OCEAN VARIOUS ANAK KRAKATAU SPEWING ASHES
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 10:16
- Keywords: Anak Krakatau Indonesia eruption volcanic ash volcano
- Location: SOUTH LAMPUNG, INDONESIA
- City: SOUTH LAMPUNG, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB1CG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Indonesia's active Anak Krakatau volcano erupted on Monday (December 30), spewing ashes into the sky as high as one kilometer, according to the country's meteorological department said.
The authority has warned the public to steer clear at a radius of two kilometers from the crater with its alert level remaining at "waspada", the second lowest on Indonesia's four-level scale.
Head of Anak Krakatau observation post, Andi Suardi, assured the volcano did not collapse underwater as the height above sea level maintained at 157 meters.
Anak Krakatau erupted around the same time last year and prompted part of its crater to collapse, triggering up to five-meter high tsunami waves that killed at least 430 people.
(Production: Triswanto, Heru Asprihanto, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None