- Title: Sikhs in India mark tenth Guru's anniversary with colourful procession
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Punjabi) DEVOTEE, RAVINDER KAUR, SAYING: "Today is the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh and they are conducting a procession throughout the city to mark that. It is surrealistically beautiful here. I felt all the happiness in my heart. I pray to the Supreme being to give happiness to everyone." COLOURFUL PERFORMANCES DURING THE PROCESSION VARIOUS OF AN IMAGE OF GURU GOBIND SINGH VARIOUS OF THE PROCESSION VOLUNTEERS CLEANING THE ROADS BEHIND THE PROCESSION
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 14:41
- Keywords: Amritsar Golden Temple Guru Gobind Singh India Nagar Kirtan Religion Sikhism
- Location: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003BUCBTXR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sikh devotees in India's northern Amritsar city carried out a vibrant procession to mark the 353rd birth anniversary of their 10th religious leader, Guru Gobind Singh on Wednesday (January 1).
The procession began from the Golden Temple - the holiest shrine of Sikhism and toured the whole city to conclude at the same spot. Throughout the procession, school children played musical instruments and marched in a militia band, while some also performed 'Gatka' - the Sikh form of martial art.
Guru Gobind Singh is the 10th Sikh Guru, a warrior, poet, philosopher and son of the revered 9th Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur who founded the Sikh warrior community, Khalsa in the late 17th century.
Sikhs in India form about two per cent of over 1.25 billion population and are largely concentrated in the northern Indian state of Punjab and national capital New Delhi.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None