- Title: Thousands of Chilean protesters welcome 2020
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (REUTERS) CHILEAN PROTESTERS OFFERING FOOD PROTESTERS LOOKING AT FIREWORKS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED IN SQUARE PROTESTER LOOKING AT MOBILE PHONE PROTESTERS WHO CLIMBED ON A MONUMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, SANDRA, SAYING: ''We came because we have been protesting for months. The government has not listened to us, pretended not to know and have evaded us. They have done unconstitutional things. And we come to celebrate - in quotes - because it is not a celebration, we came to commemorate all the people who have been injured and killed by this government.'' WOMEN LIGHTING CANDLES MUSICAL GROUP PERFORMING GENERAL OF GATHERED PROTESTERS / WITH FLAME VARIOUS OF GATHERED PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 19:45
- Keywords: 2020 Lima New Year Protesters Santiago police
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCDA2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Chilean protesters gathered in the Plaza de la Dignidad, in capital Santiago to welcome 2020.
The meeting was convened via social media and was marked with a massive dinner close to the epicentre of protests and the scene of clashes between police and protesters.
Demonstrations and riots over inequality in Chile have raged for weeks, leaving at least 26 dead and causing billions of dollars in damages to public infrastructure and private business.
According to local media, the police deployed around a thousand troops around the square, which after so many protests looks barren, with no electric power and with extensive areas of the pavement destroyed.
The police did not immediately respond to a request for information.
(Production: Esteban Medel)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None