- Title: HK police fire water cannon as protests spill into New Year
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) WATER CANNON BEING FIRED, PEOPLE RUNNING BEHIND VEHICLE RIOT POLICE RUNNING THROUGH STREET INJURED PERSON LYING ON GROUND BEING TENDED TO RIOT POLICE GATHERED INJURED PERSON LYING ON GROUND / POLICE TELLING PEOPLE TO STAY BACK VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE STANDING IN STREET, HOLDING SHIELDS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS TYING CLING FILM TO ROAD SIGNS TO BLOCK ROAD WATER CANNON VEHICLE DRIVING THROUGH CLING FILM BARRIER / WATER CANNON FIRING FIRE BURNING ON GROUND VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WEARING BLACK CLOTHING RUNNING IN STREETS
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 11:21
- Keywords: Hong Kong Hong Kong protests protest protesters water cannon
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCB29Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired a water cannon at protesters on Wednesday (January 1) as anti-government protests which have rocked the state spilled into the New Year.
The violence broke out during a largely peaceful march as masses of citizens pressed authorities for further concessions in the Chinese-ruled city.
An injured person was seeing lying on the ground as riot police swept through the Wanchai district, where protesters clad in black had gathered.
The atmosphere grew tense in several districts on Hong Kong island, as hundreds of protesters dug in, forming road blocks, setting fires and throwing a few petrol bombs.
Hong Kong has been embroiled in more than six months of anti-government demonstrations, with protesters demanding full democracy and an independent inquiry into allegations of police brutality.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Ebrahim Harris, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None