- Title: New Year revelers wade in chilly sea in northern France
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: MALO BEACH, DUNKIRK, FRANCE (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) REVELLERS IN CHEF'S AND SAILOR'S COSTUMES CHANTING, WHILE IN KNEE-DEEP WATER REVELLERS CHEERING REVELLERS IN SANTA HATS, ONE IN FEATHERED HAT, WITH BALLOONS AND CHAMPAGNE BOTTLES, CHANTING WHILE IN WATER REVELLERS IN PLATOON HATS SAYING (French): "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" REVELLERS IN SANTA HATS SAYING (French): "HAPPY NEW YEAR!", ONE HOLDING OUT CHAMPAGNE BOTTLE VARIOUS OF REVELLERS IN BERETS AND RED SCARVES, OTHERS IN OTHER COSTUMES
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 12:01
- Keywords: Dunkirk France Malo Beach New Year dip costumes swimming tradition
- Location: DUNKIRK, FRANCE
- City: DUNKIRK, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCB4NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: New Year revellers in Dunkirk in northern France waded into the chilly waters of the English Channel to herald in 2020, donning costumes and drinking champagne.
The New Year's tradition gathered around 100 bathers this year at the Malo beach.
The Dunkirk beach is known for the World War Two battle in which British, French and Belgian soldiers were trapped on French beaches by German forces.
(Production: Pascal Rossignol, Michaela Cabrera)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None