- Title: Indian children worship parents to celebrate New Year
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA (JANUARY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF A 'GURUKUL' (RESIDENTIAL SCHOOL FOR VEDIC EDUCATION) FRAMED PHOTOS OF REVERED INDIAN SAINTS DECORATED WITH GARLANDS VARIOUS OF CHILDREN SEATED WITH THEIR PARENTS AS PRIESTS CHANT VEDIC HYMNS CLOSE OF A CHILD WASHING HIS HANDS RITUALISTICALLY CHILDREN PERFORMING VEDIC RITUALS VARIOUS OF CHILDREN WORSHIPING FEET OF THEIR PARENTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) RAMAKRISHNA 'GURUKUL' DISCIPLE, CHARIKA, SAYING: "Every year, they celebrate New Year by doing 'Paada Puja' (feet worshiping) to the parents. It has a very historical importance over here. In this generation, (where) people celebrate by doing parties and (spending nights in) pubs and all, instead of this, they (youngsters in Shivamogga) celebrate New Year in such an ethnical way (ethnically), is very rare and it's very beautiful." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN PRAYING TO THEIR PARENTS
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 14:08
- Keywords: Hinduism India New Year Shivamogga Vedic rituals belief religion tradition
- Location: SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA
- City: SHIVAMOGGA, KARNATAKA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCBT5B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As the whole world ushered into the New Year in a celebratory temper amid parties and dancing, disciples of Hindu Vedic education in India's southern Shivamogga city began the year with worshiping their parents on Wednesday (January 01).
As per the tradition of Ramakrishna 'Gurukul' (residential school for Vedic education), disciples bring their parents to the ceremony every year and worship their feet amid Vedic chanting.
The priests at the 'Gurukul' say that the status of parents is equivalent to that of the gods in Hinduism and instead of wasting money on partying, such practices aim to inculcate the spiritual and good habit of respecting one's parents.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None