- Title: Two soldiers killed in gun battle with militants in Indian Kashmir
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: RAJOURI, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (JANUARY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) ARMED POLICEMEN INCLUDING, SUB-INSPECTOR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR POLICE, MOHAN SINGH (WITH TURBAN) WALKING SINGH AND ARMED POLICEMEN CLIMBING SINGH AND ARMED POLICEMEN STANDING ON GUARD SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) SUB-INSPECTOR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR POLICE, MOHAN SINGH, SAYING: "We are keeping an eye in the entire region. Army and police force have launched a search operation and barricades have been put in front and behind the toll. Search operation is going on and vehicles are being checked." MILITARY VEHICLE LEAVING AS SECURITY PERSONNEL STAND TRUCK LEAVING
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 09:23
- Keywords: India Jammu and Kashmir encounter militants security personnel soldiers
- Location: RAJOURI, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: RAJOURI, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCBRKF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two Indian army soldiers were killed in a gunfight with militants during an encounter in India's northern Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir union territory on Wednesday (January 01).
Based on specific inputs about militants a search operation was launched, during which militants open fired, leading to a gun battle.
Unrest has simmered in Kashmir, home to a separatist movement, for decades. An insurgency that erupted in 1989 against India has eased in recent years, but most Kashmiris yearn for independence and some support the few hundred militants still fighting.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None