- Title: Hong Kong police fire tear gas at New Year's mass march
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) TEAR GAS SMOKE, PEOPLE AND RIOT POLICE RETREATING JOURNALIST SURROUNDING A BURNING OBJECT, BLACK SHIRT PROTESTERS RETREATING VARIOUS MASKED PROTESTERS HOLDING UP UMBRELLAS AND FORM A DEFENCE LINE BURNING OBJECTS ON ROAD PROTESTERS RETREATING PROTESTER WALKING INTO A BANK PROTESTER VANDALISING ATM MACHINES SHATTERED GLASS DOOR VANDALISED BANK (MUTE) POLICE ARRESTING PROTESTERS, POLICE POINTING PEPPER SPRAY AT CROWD (MUTE) POLICE, PROTESTERS AND JOURNALISTS ON STREET
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 11:56
- Keywords: Hong Kong New Year police protest tear gas
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCB1HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired several rounds of tear gas at crowds during a New Year's day march on Wednesday (January 1) that has drawn tens of thousands of people, including families with children.
Frontline protesters quickly formed a line of defence, and some hurled petrol bombs back at police.
What had been a peaceful march to press authorities for more concessions deteriorated into tense scenes mid-way during the march in the Wanchai district.
Hong Kong has been embroiled in more than six months of anti-government protests that have now spilled into 2020, with protesters demands including full democracy and an independent inquiry into allegations of police brutality.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Tyrone Siu, Afiq Satikin, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None