- Title: Timelapse shows Rio New Year celebration on Copacabana beach
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (DECEMBER 31, 2019 - JANUARY 01, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) MUTE, TIME-LAPSE FOOTAGE OF CELEBRATIONS ON COPACABANA BEACH DURING DAY, AS NIGHT FALLS AND INTO NEW YEARS FIREWORKS DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 05:09
- Keywords: Brazil Copacabana New Year Rio de Janeiro beach fireworks holiday party show spectacle time-lapse
- Location: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUCBNLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A time-lapse of Rio de Janeiro's famed Copacabana Beach shows many of the expected three million revellers who amassed to ring in the New Year with a massive fireworks display as the clock struck midnight on Wednesday (January 1).
Locals and tourists from around the world gathered on the world famous beach on Tuesday (December 31) to celebrate the start of a new decade.
The New Year was finally ushered in with some 16.9 tons of fireworks being set off from barges in the sea as spectators watched from the sandy shoreline.
The annual "Reveillon" New Year's Eve celebrations are one of the city's largest tourist attractions and are an iconic symbol of the city.
Local media also reported that some 2,000 police officers would be on hand to provide security for the influx of visitors to the beach area and other celebration spots.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto, Pablo Garcia)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None