- Title: India rings in 2020 with fireworks, revelry, and prayers
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) REVELLER, ANKITA, SAYING: "It is very good. We are enjoying a lot. It feels like that we dance the entire night. Happy New Year!!! NEW DELHI, INDIA (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PEOPLE GATHERED, SOME BLOWING HORNS PEOPLE BLOWING HORNS CHILD MAKING A MAN BLOW A HORN PEOPLE GATHERED, SOME BLOWING HORNS PEOPLE BLOWING HORNS PEOPLE GATHERED (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi and English) REVELLER, SAYING: "All of us, people belonging to different religions should live together. We should respect each other's festivals. If we are not able to give happiness, then we should not give sadness as well. I want to say happy new year to all the people." AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (JANUARY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DEVOTEES GATHERED AT HOLIEST SHRINE OF SIKHISM, THE GOLDEN TEMPLE DEVOTEES STANDING IN SCARED POND AND OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEE SITTING IN POND AND OFFERING PRAYERS DEVOTEES WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi and English) DEVOTEE, PANKHUDI, SAYING: "I have come for the first time over here (Golden temple) so I am very excited and lots of love, blessings, respect to each and everyone in India and all over world." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (JANUARY 01, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VIEW OF FIRST SUNRISE OF 2020 VARIOUS OF SUN IN SKY
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 06:57
- Keywords: 2020 India Kolkata Mumbai New Delhi New Year celebrations dance fireworks prayers
- Location: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA/NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003BUCBPZJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: People across India rang in the New Year 2020 with fireworks, dance, music, and prayers as the clock struck midnight on Wednesday (January 01).
Tourists and local residents in India's western Mumbai city gathered at the Gateway of India monument in huge numbers to witness light show and fireworks. People also danced and cheered to welcome the New Year with pomp and fervour.
In New Delhi, people gathered at Connaught Place area with friends and family and blew horns as they bid farewell to 2019.
Meanwhile, devotees flocked to the holiest shrine of Sikhism, the Golden temple early in the day to offer prayers and mark the auspicious beginning.
Security was also stepped up across the country to maintain law and order.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None