- Title: Hundreds of thousands celebrate New Year's Eve in Berlin
- Date: 1st January 2020
- Summary: CROWDS IN PARTY ZONE WITH FERRIS WHEEL IN DISTANCE PEOPLE DANCING IN FRONT OF BRANDENBURG GATE
- Embargoed: 15th January 2020 00:53
- Keywords: berlin brandenburg gate fireworks new year's eve party vox pops
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002BUCBM13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of thousands of people celebrated New Year's Eve in Berlin where some 6,000 fireworks lit up the sky above the iconic Brandenburg Gate at Germany's largest such bash, according to the organisers.
Berlin police tweeted shortly after 9 p.m. (2000 GMT) that access to the 1.5 km (0.9 miles) party zone stretching from Brandenburg Gate towards Grosser Stern square had been closed because "it's FULL."
"If you are not inside yet, unfortunately you stay out," the tweet read, almost three hours before midnight.
Revellers' bags were checked for banned fireworks, glass bottles, alcoholic beverages and "arms of all types," according to the organisers.
The occasion marked the 25th time that Berlin had hosted Germany's largest outdoor New Year's Eve party.
(Production: Inke Kappeler, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.