- Title: Air strikes hit Idlib as Syrian army advances
- Date: 2nd January 2020
- Summary: IDLIB, SYRIA (JANUARY 1, 2020) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) LARGE CLOUDS OF SMOKE RISING AFTER EXPLOSION FROM AIR STRIKE PLANE FLYING LARGE PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING FROM AREA HIT BY AIR STRIKE SYRIAN ARMY SOLDIER FIRING GUN FROM BACK OF TRUCK TANKS FIRING VARIOUS OF SOLDIER LOADING GUN AND FIRING WEAPON VARIOUS OF HELICOPTER FLYING BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM HILLS ON HORIZON VARIOUS OF MORE SMOKE RISING FROM AREAS HIT BY STRIKES
- Embargoed: 16th January 2020 13:52
- Keywords: Idlib Syria Syria army Syria army offensive Syria conflict air strikes
- Location: IDLIB, SYRIA
- City: IDLIB, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUHAUYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Air strikes hit Idlib province on Wednesday (January 1) footage obtained by Reuters showed, as the Syrian army led a military offensive against the country's last rebel-held swathe of territory.
Towns and villages have been pounded by Russian jets and Syrian artillery since a renewed government assault last month, despite a deal agreed last September by the leaders of Turkey, Russia and Iran to ease tensions.
At least eight people were killed on Wednesday when the Syrian army launched missiles that struck a shelter for displaced families in the country's northwest, witnesses and residents said.
President Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday (January 2) up to 250,000 migrants were fleeing toward Turkey from Idlib after weeks of bombardment.
Moscow and Damascus both deny allegations of indiscriminate bombing of civilian areas and say they are fighting al Qaeda-inspired Islamist militants.
(Production: Firas Makdesi, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None