- Title: Dalai Lama holds teaching session in eastern India
- Date: 2nd January 2020
- Summary: BODHGAYA, BIHAR, INDIA, (JANUARY 02, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) MONKS ASSISTING EXILED TIBETAN SPIRITUAL LEADER DALAI LAMA TO WALK MONKS SITTING DURING TEACHING SESSION OF DALAI LAMA DALAI LAMA SITTING ON RAISED PLATFORM AS MONKS CHANT PRAYERS DALAI LAMA SITTING WITH FOLDED HANDS MONKS LISTENING TO DALAI LAMA (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEVOTEE FROM FRANCE, ZORIANA, SAYING: "This is a big special moment for me and a big honour to be here. This teaching is very deep and veryâ€¦ for the soul." MONKS LISTENING TO DALAI LAMA (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEVOTEE FROM FRANCE, MARK, SAYING: "I think so, Dalai Lama has really given message for everybody to understand...'I need to understand myself to understand everybody and to respect everybody'." DALAI LAMA SITTING ON RAISED PLATFORM AS MONKS CHANT PRAYERS
- Embargoed: 16th January 2020 12:14
- Keywords: Bihar Bodhgaya China Dalai Lama Exiled Tibetans India Tibet
- Location: BODHGAYA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: BODHGAYA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUHBL1R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, held a teaching session for monks and devotees in India's eastern Bihar state on Thursday (January 02).
About 30,000 devotees from around the world attended the teaching session of the Nobel Laureate, held in the spiritual town of Bodhgaya.
"This is a big special moment for me and a big honour to be here," said devotee from France, Zoriana.
The Dalai Lama fled from Lhasa for asylum in India in 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule. He has since lived mostly in the northern hill town of Dharamsala, where his supporters run a small government in exile and advocate Tibet's autonomy by peaceful means.
The 84-year-old was recognised as the Tibetan spiritual leader at the age of 15 in the year 1959, the same year when China occupied Tibet. China had earlier called him a 'wolf in a monk's skin'.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None