- Title: Media await first glimpse of former Nissan chief in Beirut
- Date: 2nd January 2020
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (JANUARY 2, 2020) (REUTERS) BEIRUT HOUSE BELIEVED TO BELONG TO OUSTED NISSAN BOSS CARLOS GHOSN VEHICLE LEAVING GARAGE, BELIEVED TO BE CARRYING GHOSN'S WIFE CAROLE GHOSN SECURITY CLOSING GARAGE DOOR VARIOUS OF MEDIA GATHERING AROUND VEHICLE, BELIEVED TO BE CARRYING CAROLE GHOSN, AS IT ENTERS GARAGE WOMAN, BELIEVED TO BE CAROLE GHOSN, EXITING VEHICLE INSIDE THE GARAGE FACADE OF HOUSE MEDIA RECORDING SCENES THROUGH GARAGE DOOR WINDOW VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AND MEDIA GATHERING OUTSIDE HOUSE BELIEVED TO BELONG TO GHOSN
- Embargoed: 16th January 2020 11:59
- Keywords: Beirut home Carlos Ghosn Carole Ghosn Nissan flee Japan former chairman trial wife
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUHBO7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Media awaited the first glimpse of ousted Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn in Beirut on Thursday (January 2), outside a property believed to belong to the former auto executive.
One vehicle that left and then returned to the building was believed to have transported his wife, Carole Ghosn, to and from the location.
Ghosn, 65, has become an international fugitive after he revealed on Tuesday (December 31) he had fled to Lebanon to escape what he called a "rigged" justice system.
Under the terms of his bail, Ghosn was prevented from communicating with his wife and had his use of the Internet and other communications restricted while confined to his house in Tokyo. The businessman who holds French, Lebanese and Brazilian citizenship was smuggled out of Tokyo by a private security company in a plan that involved transit through Turkey, Reuters has reported.
He was first arrested in Tokyo in November 2018 and faces four charges for alleged financial crimes in Japan, including hiding income and enriching himself through payments to car dealerships in the Middle East. He denies the charges.
(Production: Issam Abdallah, Ahmad El Kerdi, Imad Creidi, Yara Abi Nader)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None