- Title: Israel puts military on heightened alert after U.S. killing of Iranian commander
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: KIDMAT TZVI, GOLAN HEIGHTS (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) ISRAELI ARMY TANKS STATIONED NEAR THE BORDER WITH SYRIA SOLDIERS CHECKING THE TANK ARMY TENT NEAR BORDER WITH SYRIA TANKS STATIONED NEAR BORDER WITH SYRIA QUNEITRA, GOLAN HEIGHTS (JANUARY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) U.N. VEHICLES DRIVING NEAR BORDER AS SEEN FROM ISRAEL-OCCUPIED GOLAN HEIGHTS
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 13:43
- Keywords: Iran Iraq Israel Soleimani USA border
- Location: KIDMAT TZVI, QUNEITRA, GOLAN HEIGHTS
- City: KIDMAT TZVI, QUNEITRA, GOLAN HEIGHTS
- Country: Golan Heights
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMD8W7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli army had gone on heightened alert on Friday (January 3) amid fears that Iran could strike through its regional allies such as Tehran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah to the north, or through Palestinian militant group Hamas and Islamic Jihad in Gaza.
Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu defended a U.S. decision to launch an air strike that killed powerful Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani.
Israel has long regarded Soleimani as a major threat. The military said in August it had foiled a Quds Force attack, masterminded by Soleimani that involved multiple drones operating from Syria.
It has also accused Soleimani of leading Quds Force efforts to establish a precision-guided missiles program for Hezbollah, the Lebanese movement that is backed by Tehran.
Israel is concerned about retaliation from Iran's proxies and allies in the region, such as Hezbollah and Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad in Gaza.
(Production: Avi Ohayon/ Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None