- Title: Protest erupts in India over U.S. killing of Iranian commander
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: KARGIL, LADAKH, INDIA (JANUARY 03, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MARCHING WITH BANNER AND RAISING SLOGANS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RAISING SLOGANS (SOUNDBITE) (Urdu) PRESIDENT, ALL LADAKH STUDENTS ASSOCIATION, MOHAMMAD HASSAIN, SAYING: "Kargil condemns this shameful incident conspired by the United States and its allies that happened today morning in Baghdad airport in Iraq where Qassem Soleimani was killed along with commanders of Iraq's Hashd al-shaabi. All businesses in Kargil are shut today in grief."
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 13:23
- Keywords: Baghdad India Iran Iraq Kargil Major-General Qassem Soleimani Quds Force United States
- Location: KARGIL, LADAKH, INDIA/ TAL KSAIBA, SALAHUDDIN PROVINCE, IRAQ/INTERNET
- City: KARGIL, LADAKH, INDIA/ TAL KSAIBA, SALAHUDDIN PROVINCE, IRAQ/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BUMBUBZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
A religious group in India's hilly Kargil region staged a protest against the U.S. killing of Iranian Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani in an air strike.
People in Shia-Muslim majority Kargil took to the streets after Friday prayers to participate in the protest organised by socio-religious institution, Islamia School.
The United States killed Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force and architect of Iran's spreading military influence in the Middle East, in a strike on Friday in Baghdad.
Indian foreign ministry also issued a statement over the strikes hoping the situation does not escalate further.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None