- Title: Republicans, Democrats react to Soleimani killing
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION (JANUARY 02, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) STATEMENT FROM HOUSE SPEAKER NANCY PELOSI READING (English): "...Tonight's airstrike risks provoking further dangerous escalation of violence. America - and the world - cannot afford to have tensions escalate to the point of no return. The Administration has conducted tonight's strikes in Iraq targeting high-level Iranian military officials and killing Iranian Quds Force Commander Qasem Soleimani without an Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) against Iran. Further, this action was taken without the consultation of the Congress. The full Congress must be immediately briefed on this serious situation and on the next steps under consideration by the Administration, including the significant escalation of the deployment of additional troops to the region."
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 06:30
- Keywords: Donald Trump Iranian Major-General Iraq Qassem Soleimani Quds Force blast
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / INTERNET
- City: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION / INTERNET
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA002BUMBHON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Republicans and Democrats shared their reactions Thursday (January 02) to the killing of Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, in a U.S. air strike on his convoy at Baghdad airport.
While U.S. President Donald Trump only posted an image of the American flag, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo wrote, "Iraqis - Iraqis - dancing in the street for freedom; thankful that General Soleimani is no more."
"His demise should be applauded by all who seek peace and justice," said former ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley.
Democrats were less supportive.
"President Trump just tossed a stick of dynamite into a tinderbox," wrote former Vice President Joe Biden.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "this action was taken without the consultation of the Congress."
Senator Bernie Sanders posted, "Trump's dangerous escalation brings us closer to another disastrous war in the Middle East that could cost countless lives and trillions more dollars."
(Production: Bob Mezan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None